Sunday, August 27, 2006
The outcome of my decision
A few months ago I posted about my decision to stay in Arizona and go to ASU in the fall. I had no idea that it would be the most stressful decision of my life . I started my application to ASU back in June and as part of the process I had to send all of my transcripts from Westwood HS, Mesa Community College, and BYU Hawaii. This was the last step and all I had to do from there was wait for approval and sign up for classes... Not as easy as it sounds.
Somehow, my transcripts from BYU Hawaii were not making it. With in 2 months I had them resent 3 times. I was at the point where I didn't care about those 6 credits anymore and asked if ASU would just forget about them but that wasn't an option. So on Wed August 9th, I found out that the Hawaii credits finally made it in. And even now with all my information there, I still had to wait to be accepted. So again, all I can do is sit and wait. On Wed August 16, I found out that I was approved for admissions but still could not register because they didn't have my shot records... Something that could have been brought to my attention weeks ago!! So I got those faxed in and took Friday morning off of work so that I could go down to the campus and sign up for classes that started on Monday the 21st.
On Friday morning I drove myself down to the unfamiliar campus. I got pushed around from place to place for 3 hours and was still not signed up for any classes. One advisor told me that I was basically starting over because most of my MCC credits wouldn't count for anything. I was so frustrated from not getting any answers and sweaty from walking around in the AZ sun that I gave up and went home.
That night I was so depressed and angry that I went down to the temple and just sat in the grass outside for 2 hours by myself. I thought about why I was staying in Arizona, and if I should just take the semester off of school.
On Saturday I spent the day with my whole family down in Tucson to visit Abbie and Jake and to see the Lion King on stage. After the play we all went to dinner and I explained my situation to Danny and Lindsi. They agreed to come over on Sunday and see if they could help. So on Sunday we sat down at the computer and looked at my options... which were looking much better with their help and advice. I figured out 4 classes that I could take and began to register for them... but I was 12 minutes too late. The ASU computer systems were closed down already so I would have to wait until the morning.
So finally on Monday morning Aug 21, at 7am, I registered for my classes, one of which started at 7:40... but of course, nothing works out they way its planned, two of my classes were closed already. So basically now I'm a week into the semester at Arizona State University, taking 2 classes.
I hope to find out soon why I'm still in Arizona cause going to BYU would have been so much easier. Only time will tell... I guess